Patron: Mrs Kaye de Jersey
In 1919 a group of women began the Lyceum Club in Brisbane to share and develop their interests in art, literature, music, science, education, journalism and current affairs. The Club provides a friendly, welcoming environment.
In 2019, members will celebrate 100 years of activities of the Club.
* Use of the Club Rooms in Brisbane CBD
* Opportunities to continue lifelong learning
* Participation in special interest groups (Circles) which include: Art, 3 Book Groups, Cinema, Evening Discussion Group, Mah-Jong, Music, Needlework & Textiles, Poetry, Travel, Theatre, Sunshine Coast Group, and a Winter Walking Group
* A varied program of bi-monthly lectures by experts
* Friendships engendered by sharing mutual interests
* Club Library
* Being welcomed at 73 Lyceum Clubs worldwide
* Reciprocal accommodation in other Lyceum Clubs or its affiliates
* International and national conferences with the opportuntiy to meet and befriend members from all around the world.
The Club is a member of
The Secretariat of The AALC is hosted on a rotational basis by the member clubs. The Sydney Lyceum Club Inc. is the organising Club 2017-2019.
There are Lyceum Clubs in Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. Club members enjoy reciprocal privileges and in some cases, accommodation.
The AALC hosts a three day conference in a different city every three years. The next conference will be held in Sydney in August 2018.
All members are welcome to attend these conferences.
Through its membership of The Australian Association of Lyceum Clubs Incorporated, the Club enjoys membership of
Through the International Association of Lyceum Clubs, Lyceum in Brisbane has links with clubs in many European countries, New Zealand and North America. Members may visit these clubs and also meet other members at triennial International Congresses.
For more information go to the International Association of Lyceum Clubs
For more information about the following functions or any other matter email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Anniversary Luncheon commemorates the founding of the Lyceum Club in Brisbane on Friday 2 May 1919 and is held annually in late April or early May.
Annual Lyceum Lecture is presented by an eminent Australian woman to members and guests at a dinner. The Lyceum Lecture began in 1998. A woman, pre-eminent in her profession and from anywhere in Australia is invited to speak on a topic of her choice which reflects the interests of Lyceum, that is art, literature, music, science, education journalism and current affairs.
The Christmas Morning Tea highlights the Club’s Lyceum Singers and the winner of Doreen Ord Lyceum Club Prize – Classical Voice.
AALC (Australian) Triennial Conferences
The most recent Conference was held in Brisbane in October 2015
The next Conference will be held in Sydney in August, 2018
For more information visit Conferences
IALC Cultural Days
The recent Cultural Days were held in Paris, France (2017) and the next will be in Oulu, Finland (June 2018)
IALC Triennial Congresses
The last Congress was held in Amsterdam 11 – 17 May 2016 Amsterdam 2016
The next Congress will be in Stockholm in 2019.