Patron: Her Excellency the Honourable Dr Jeannette Young AC PSM, Governor of Queensland www.govhouse.qld.gov.au
The Club has a current Covid-19 plan which includes all government requirements. We resumed Club activities and welcome members and guests.
In 2019, members celebrated 100 years of activities of the Club. In 1919 a group of professional women began the Lyceum Club in Brisbane to share and develop their interests in art, literature, music, science, education, journalism and current affairs.
The Club provides a friendly, welcoming environment with its own extensive suite of rooms in the Brisbane CBD.
The Club is apolitical and non-sectarian and members enjoy:
* Use of the Club Rooms in Brisbane CBD, with free wifi access, for relaxation and personal meetings
* Opportunities to continue lifelong learning
* Participation in special interest groups (Circles) which include: Art, 3 Book Groups, Cinema, Evening Discussion Group, Mah-Jong, Games, Music, Needlework & Textiles, Poetry, Travel, Theatre, Sunshine Coast Group, a Writers Group and a Winter Walking Group
* A varied program of bi-monthly lectures by experts
* Friendships engendered by sharing mutual interests
* Social Activities
* Club Library
* Being welcomed at 73 Lyceum Clubs worldwide
* Reciprocal accommodation in other Lyceum Clubs or its affiliates in Australian capital cities and in Europe
* International and national conferences with the opportunity to meet and befriend members from all around the world.
The Club is a member of
The Secretariat of The AALC is hosted on a rotational basis by the member clubs. The Lyceum Club Adelaide is the organising Club 2020-2022.
There are Lyceum Clubs in Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. Club members enjoy reciprocal privileges and in some cases, accommodation.
The AALC hosts a three day conference in a different city every three years. The next conference will be held in Adelaide in 2022.
All members are welcome to attend these conferences.
Through its membership of The Australian Association of Lyceum Clubs Incorporated, the Club enjoys membership of
Through the International Association of Lyceum Clubs, Lyceum in Brisbane has links with clubs in many European countries and New Zealand. Members may visit these clubs and also meet other members at triennial International Congresses.
For more information go to the International Association of Lyceum Clubs
For more information about the following functions or any other matter email to email@example.com
Annual Lyceum Lecture is presented by an eminent Australian woman to members and guests at a dinner. The Lyceum Lecture began in 1998. A woman, pre-eminent in her profession and from anywhere in Australia is invited to speak on a topic of her choice which reflects the interests of Lyceum, that is art, literature, music, science, education journalism and current affairs.
The Christmas Morning Tea highlights the Club’s Lyceum Singers and the winner of Doreen Ord Lyceum Club Prize – Classical Voice.
The Anniversary Luncheon commemorates the founding of the Lyceum Club in Brisbane in 1919 and is held annually.
AALC (Australian) Triennial Conferences
The next Conference will be held in Adelaide in 2022. For more information visit Conferences
IALC Cultural Days
The last Cultural Days were held in Oulu, Finland in June 2018.
Unfortunately, with the safely and well-meaning of everyone in mind, the May 2020 Cultural Visit in Lisbon has been cancelled because of the threat of COVID-19.
IALC Triennial Congresses
The 2019 Congress was held in Stockholm. The next Congress will be held in Rabat. For information view International Congresses